Tuesday, December 4, 2007


The question that many college students go through today is what they want to major in and what how they get that business experience that will gain them a job upon graduation. In fact, though these major decisions seem difficult, they are actually very easy to make with the help of the colleges career services. In my last workshop for my fall semester I learned about the many things you must do for your transition to the real world and maybe your future employer.



Peggy Mathis, one of the counselors in the Career Services office, started her discussion with the way businesses classify people. She said that businesses started to use tests after World War I to determine who people were. The test that she gave us classified people in four different ways: introverts vs. extroverts, sensing vs. institutional, thinking vs. feeling, and judgment vs. perception. I listened to her descriptions of each and I classified myself as an introvert, intuitional, feeling, and perceptive type of person. What type of person are you?



As Mrs. Mathis continued I learned more and more about the many ways Penn State helps us as students to get involved in our fields of interest through its wonderful internship and co-op programs. I learned about the many career fairs Penn State offers at every one of its campuses.



Along with the idea of searching for co-ops and internships, Mrs. Mathis discussed about Occupational Information Interviewing. This basically means that you should participate in activities that have deal with your field of study. If you never experienced the field of study you never know that you will like it. If you do things with the Campus like career fairs, you are able to ask questions from the people that work in that field of study every day of their lives. If you like what they do you can pursue it but if you don’t, it isn’t too late to change your major or field of study. If you truly want to know if you like a job or if you want to pursue a field that you get enjoyment from I encourage you to ask questions at the many job fairs Penn State offers. My father always said to me “Make sure you like what you do, because if you don’t, you will not enjoy going to work and making a difference”.








No comments: