Tuesday, September 4, 2007

On August 29th at 3:30 p.m., I attended my first class of “First Year Seminar” at Penn State Berks. My instructor was John Gallagher and my class student mentor was Amanda. This blog will be dedicated to explaining what happened during this class.
When we first began the class, we discussed the syllabus and what we were going to cover during the semester. At first the curriculum seemed overwhelming, but as I read through this paper, the class seemed like it would be very interesting. I learned that most of the assignments would help us to get better acquainted with what Berks campus had to offer each one of us. This was very exciting to me since I would like to become involved in campus life. Once the syllabus was covered, the class participated in an icebreaker game. In the game, everyone said their name along with an action and gesture that described their own personality. Some of the names I heard included Magic Mike, Wonderful Walter, Delightful Dan, Jumping John, and Amazing Amanda. The only downfall to the game was that I had to memorize most of the names and adjectives, since I was one of the last to recite my name! On the positive side, the game helped me to get acquainted with my classmates and meet new people. When the game ended, we concluded class by receiving our handbooks. As time marched on this week, I found these books to be an important planning tool.
This was a very enjoyable class and first week of college. Although I have wondered and stressed about what college would be like, I now look forward to an exciting and educational year at Penn State Berks. With these small and personal classes, I know my choice for Berks was the right fit for me!

No comments: